Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Semi- Homemade

I hate cooking. I will never proclaim myself as a chef of any kind. In fact I hate cooking so much I mooch off my mom almost daily. Thats right, You heard me. I mooch. Im a moocher. Big deal. And the reason for my mooching is Zachs schedule was 10-7 and thats a long time to be home by yourself so I usually head to my parents and play. And by the time Zach is home my mom has already made dinner and I just "Happened" to be there. So yesterday was Labor Day and Zach had the day off from work as most did. It was so nice to have him around. He is so helpful and I just love seeing his handsome face. Anyways, My family had gone up to Heber this weekend for the Holiday and yesterday around 3 I realized I was going to have to make dinner. If I make dinner they are meals that are semi-homecooked and take 30 minutes or less to cook. Thats just how I roll. Even though I hate cooking I do like to watch the cooking channel. Weird huh? I was watching Miss Paula Deen one day and she made this Shrimp and Scallop lasagna. It look fantastic! So thinking I was just as good as Paula I hopped on the internet to find the recipe.

***Note to Self: Paula is a professional chef, has her own Show and restaurant. You will never be Paula. Never.***

It said it was a Moderate recipe to follow and for some reason... I thought I could pull it off. If only I had 50 hands. I get so flustered. I burned the onions, added too much flour, poured in way too much half and half, dropped some of the noodles in the sink as I was draining them and made a huge mess. The only thing I think I did right was preheat the oven and all that was was push a stinking button. All in all it smelled great, looked great but tasted... bland. While it was baking in the oven I went down stairs threw myself on the bed and told Zach " everytime I make dinner I am reminded why I hate cooking." He just laughed.

I give up. Im sticking to my semi- homemade 30 minute or less meals.

Even though I am no cook. I do love me some food. Any kind is fine with me. Ive never been a picky eater. Well, if you dont count taking my peanut butter and jelly sandwich apart as a toddler and would only allow the peanut butter to be on one side and the jelly on the other. There could be no mixing and then only eating the jelly side. BUT, I dont do that anymore. And actually I almost prefer the peanut butter side these days.

And P.s- Cooking and baking are completely different. I can bake with the best of them. Just dont rely on me to make you dinner.

24 comments:

RatalieNose said...

Oh adventures of a housewife!
Love it!
Shoot when I get married, my hubby and I will be eating at my parents every Sunday.

Emily said...

I like baking too. have not really had the chance to see if i like or hate cooking, well have to see about that. any ways carrie finn?? is she related to bethany finn? sister, mom??

Alexa Mae said...

i srsly used to suck bad at cooking and baking. it is an acquired skill...i used to hate it. i love it now. if you want i'll give you some easy recipes to start off with... ;) i seriously didnt cook the first 3 years of our marriage. and we're coming up to our 5th anniversary! yikes. hehe. i need you to teach me how to yo-yo like you?? we can have a tutorial day a la winnie 'n' alexa...whaddayasay?

Kristen said...

I'm so with you when it comes to cooking! The sooner it can become a meal with the least amount of effort on my part is pretty much what I aim for. I do however like the food network, Ace of Cakes makes me want to become a cake decorator, if only in my daydreams. I do like to bake when I have time. I plan on doing some fun things for Halloween I saw in a magazine and I hope I can pull it off : ) Have a great week!

Tracy said...

I will do all your cooking/baking if you will clean my house. Straight up. ...consider? ha ha love you.

The Blakes said...

I don't consider myself a great cook...but I think I am a gifted taster. I know a good meal when I taste one and I take pride in that. Oh, and I hear ya sister. I am all about the easy yet tasty recipes. I'm thinking about posting some of my easy recipes that I use and starting recipe exchanges on my blog. I need some new ones, but if it's not easy and doesn't take less than an hour, then people can just forget it.

Unknown said...

I wanted to see a picture!! I bet it tasted good--sounds good!

Full House said...

let's go take some cooking classes.

porter and karla said...

hi there! i saw your blog from alexas post on you. . . what a cute mom you are. so i was wondering if you could possibly e mail me directions on how to make those adorable fabric bows?? please please? also a few tips on those cute onezies too! i would sure appreciate it. karlaadorespink@gmail.com and porterandkarla.blogspot.com is my blog. . . leave a message if you want to be added to my private blog to make a new blogging friend:) thanks!!

ConnieB said...

hahaha you're awesome. I have to admit Paula bugs me in the walmart commercials... so I'm glad you will never be her! :p


....preheat the oven. LOL!

Stu and Angie Milne said...

hi! i just read about you on alexa's blog. you are too funny! i thought i was a good cook until i got married... and then i tried some of paula and barefoot contessa's so-called "easy" meals and felt like a total failure. but seriously, just try some easier non-food network meals and boost your confidence. there's a blog i like that has simple but delicious meals pleaseholdtheonions.blogspot.com, try it for some tried and true recipes! good luck!

Jami said...

Oh dear! YOu crack me up! How about you bake for me, and I will cook for you?

Mary said...

I feel the same way...but at least I'm not a wife...ha I just eat whatever I can get my hands on!

The Clarks said...

Oh I used to hate cooking. Well I still do sometimes. But this summer when we were away and I had nothing to do I did lots of practice meals and Bryce LOVED it. I think he was getting sick of tacos and pasta! Practicing lots of recipes is the only way to get more confident.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

HAHAH love it. I will teach you to cook! It's my favorite thing ever.

Annie said...

Bless your dear housewife soul. I could tell you some pretty big doosers about our first few years of marriage and what I put on the table. Hardly could call it food at all. The worst was when I thought I was up for a challenge and invited other guest over. Nothing like serving people raw undercooked chicken, crunchy rice, and soggy sauce. True story. I was mortified and just recently recovered. It does get better though. Practice makes perfect. Now after 7 years of marriage, I actually can make some pretty good meals.

Annie said...

stopping over from alexa's site!
you have an adorable blog too!

like you, i also only make semi-homemade meals and they take 30 mins or less cuz that's also how i roll-yo! ;)
i don't think there is anything wrong with cooking meals that take 30 or under, at least they are yum-o!

Chelsee Bingham said...

Oh cooking!! The kitchen and I don't mix! I can kinda grill but ask me to use the oven/stove and I'll freak out! Poor Scott, He's been living off of Mac and Cheese and tuna sandwiches(Bentley loves it). It's funny because people say when men get married they gain weight..... Not in my case! Pretty sure he is losing weight right now as we speak!

Ivy said...

Here is something you should give yourself for date night.... at home.

http://www.destinationdinners.com/

Cheers

Cam and Mele said...

Am I reading my journal, cuz I swear that is my experience LITERALLY everytime I attempt to make a delicious meal.

Oh, hey! It's me, Mele! Remember me?? We had our babies a day a part, and then poof I vanished from the blogging world! Actually, I'm lying this isn't Mele, I'm just her blog ghost here on a visit while paying some bills.
I AM INTERNETLESS WHITNEY!!! SAD huh. I will be back, not that my blog was any sort of interesting!

Cheryl said...

I don't really like to cook all the time. I like to make quick and easy meals in less that 15 minutes. Sometimes I do make something really yummy but not all the time or I might get fat.

Sally said...

Whit, I just think you're awesome. You make me laugh and I wish we spent more time together. Props for trying that recipe...you are a brave girl!

Alexa Mae said...

you won on pied piper!!! congrats girl!! cant wait to see the pics.

Breeann said...

You know that I absolutely love reading your stories. Don't even worry about being a mooch my fam calls me a mooch all the time. Hey take each recipe one at a time it worked for me and I now love cooking as you would know though treats are my real passion. Mmmm it must run in the fam