Having a baby has sure given me a new perspective on life. There shall be no more flying by the seat of my pants. Pre-baby days I would pack too many things into my day thinking I was superwoman and somehow would get them all done. I was a full time student, dance teacher, musical theater teacher, working as a secretary for my dad, worked at my internship at the Arizona design center and on top of all that I was trying to be a good wife. There were the occasional lunch dates with girlfriends, grooming appointments for Zo and LOTS and LOTS of homework. See being an Interior Designer your work never was a 9-5er. No You wake up in the middle of the night because you dreamed about how the kitchen should be layed out and where you are going to be the bathroom because of plumbing lines. So its quick to the drawing board and then hours later you have layed out the kitchen but still have the bathroom to attend to.Pre-baby days I lived life like a tornado. It was from one thing to the next. Of course there were hiccups in my day but it was okay because I could always rearrange something so it would work or if it didnt work I would mope around feeling frustrated and thinking I was a failure. How come I couldnt do a bazillion things? How did it not work? I had everything planned just so. It should have worked. You see this is an inherited quality. One of the those personality traits you shake your fist to the high heavens and curse. I get it from my dad. He too packs to many things in one day thinking he is superman and if it doesnt go according to plan... he mopes. Tis true. The funny thing is he got it from his mother. So it has taken me 5 long months to figure out someone and something else is in control. Sure Miss P and I have a schedule. Sleep, eat, play, sleep, eat, play, Every single day. But the times always change. One day shes up at 6 the next she is up at 9. I never know when my day is going to begin or when she really will be taking her nap. So how do I schedule MY life? How do I schedule the things I need to get done? I just do. I schedule things and for some reason THAT day she needs to be sleeping when I have scheduled things or she needs to eat. And everytime this happens I get frustrated. I enter a bad mood. I mope. I cant be superwoman. I cant do a bazillion things in one day. Miss P wont allow it. At the end of some days I feel completely ridiculous. I feel like Im a joke. What did I do today? nothing. Wrong!! I took care of a baby ALL day long. Thats hard work. Sure I didnt get to run my errands like I had hoped. Sure I didnt get to make the things I wanted to. Sure I completely neglected Zoey all day. Sure I didnt shower and my hair is in a pony tail and I applied ZERO makeup. Whatever. Sometimes I miss those days where I lived my life looking professional in my stiletto heels with my hair curled and everything was in its exact place. Sure I do. Who wouldnt? But then I step back and see where my life has taken me. I have a precious baby girl that I get to be mommy to. I get to see her roll over and sit up first. I get to talk to her all day long. I get the smiles and laughs. And that feels good. So good. For now my stilettos have been replaced with flip flops. Cause their much easier to take care of Presley in.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









12 comments:
Amen, girl....except for the stiletto heels bit since I became an eternal flat shoe shopper when Scott and I got married. But I hear ya.
Love it. You've accurately portrayed motherhood... the ups and downs. At the end of the day it's always worth it. Definately my dream job, I just didn't know it till after Brody came along (:
:)
This post made me smile. You're amazing. Moms never get enough credit. You and they are incredible. Little Miss P is lucky. We must play soon.
Good for you, for keeping your perspective!
Also, I really like your new header. Have I told you that yet?
I wanna be a mommy! your great im glad your enjoying being a mother!
I absolutely 100% know what you are saying. This throughly made sense to me. Everything was exactly how i feel. I always dream and look back at how my life use to be and think about how i miss it. But then i picture if i never had my Noah and, i cant, i wouldnt change a thing. Nothing makes me happier than my baby. Thanks for posting this cause now i feel normal and there is someone else who understands!:)
I absolutely 100% know what you are saying. This throughly made sense to me. Everything was exactly how i feel. I always dream and look back at how my life use to be and think about how i miss it. But then i picture my life and i wouldnt change a thing. Nothing makes me happier than my baby. Thanks for posting this cause now i feel normal and there is someone else who understands!:)
yup true that. i used to be able to get thousands of things done in a day. its been hard to walk into my kitchen and see dirty dishes everywhere and a house full of crap but then again i love knowing the fact that my baby got full attention and is growing and developing. ugh..the life of a mormon mommy!!! thanks for your post it made my day!!
True! I can't believe she's rolling over and sitting up already!! Porter's not...
Hi. You don't know me but I was "blog stalking" and ran across yours. You have nailed this mommy thing right on the head! Love your blog! :)
Great post! I have found I can no longer make a list of to do's for today, I have to make a list of to do's and check them off throughout the week as they get done. Just wait until you have 3!!! And now you know why I was never put together when we lived in tempe :)
Post a Comment