Thursday, May 8, 2008

Grand Canyon Hike

It has been 3 weeks since Zach and I hiked the Grand Canyon, rim to rim, all in one day. I had to wait to blog about this because It was quite the experience. Ed Mcmullin, a really great guy in our ward asked us about 2 months ago to go hike the Grand Canyon with him and other members of our ward. INSTANTLY, I said No. I am not a hiker. I am not ashamed to tell you all this either. I hated girls camp hikes and I just dont care to hike at all. After a good month, Ed and Zach pretty much talked me into coming. That morning we met at Ed's house and he presented us with our
"CLUB ED" hats. We drove up with our friends Josh and Lars and as soon as we got there we checked into our hotel room. We started our hike about 2 in the afternoon. For those who havent hiked the Grand Canyon you are pretty much stepping down stair or stepping up stairs the whole time. There was no gradually trail down. After a couple of hours stepping down stairs my heels were starting to get blisters, my ankles were tired of rolling, and I was just tired. On the way down I informed Zach I will NEVER EVER EVER go hiking with him again. We got down to a place called Phantom Ranch ate Bratwursts and then after about 30 minutes headed back up the Canyon( time was 7:30pm). After eating I did not feel well. The Bratwurst did not settle well in stomach. So now Zach and I are hiking straight up these stairs and I am thinking to myself Im going to puke. After about 45 minutes of hiking I am puking on the side of the mountain. I felt so bad for Zach the whole way up. That hike up truly testified how out of shape I was. Within a 100 feet we probably stopped 2 times. It was Horrible!!!! we finally made it up to the top at 12:47 am and I walked right to the car and we went right to the hotel. The next morning the 4 of us( Lars, Josh , Zach and I ) looked like 90 year old people walking around. we were so sore. Lars and I were the worst. We couldnt lift our left leg without help from our arms. After this experience, I learned Hiking Is DEFINTELY not for me.






5 comments:

Debbie said...

those pictures must have been taken at the beginning of the hike....you're still smiling!!!!!! haha

Brittany said...

Whitney, what is wrong with you?! I could have told you hiking sucked!! I hate it too, but somehow my dad talked me into doing Havasupi this summer...good thing they have helicopters to take you out!! Good for you girl, now you can say you hiked the Grand Canyon!

Jeff, Di and Ty said...

I guess you were right that dance class doesn't quite get a person in shape for the grand canyon! Too bad I missed out...

Camille said...

For some reason I find this very amusing! I've never hiked the Grand Canyon, and I'd been thinking it sounded fun, but I must've been wrong. Thanks for the heads up!

Nicole said...

Whitney, I'm sorry you hated it - I felt so bad for you the whole way out! But hey, you've got bragging rights, not a lot of people have done it. I remember the first time I hiked it too, I couldn't walk for a couple of days! At least it was a beautiful day!!